Friday 6 October 2017

My Favourite Asanas #2 – Eagle or Garudasana

Along with tree pose, I think of this as being one of the poses people think of when they think of people doing yoga. Despite its cartoon-y nature, it’s quite tricky and, ultimately, pretty rewarding.

Unlike tree pose, there isn’t anything obviously eagle-y about it at first glance, but it is there.

Trying to find a focal point past the entwined forearms and hands, I am unable to maintain the usual combined binocular picture of the world I’m used to. Instead, I get two images, one from each eye, like most creatures do (can you think of another creature with both eyes on the front of the head rather than the sides?). My eyes flicker from side to side getting used to this new perspective.

In this crouched but taught position, knees bent, elbows pushing up, I am really aware of the musculature around my shoulders and upper arm – there is a coiled sense of strength which I can release if I dip my shoulders, arch my neck back and spread my arms out and behind me, fingertips lifting up and back. Flying.


I don’t know if this variant even has a name, but it feels great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peace on Earth

When I roll out my mat I try to do it in as peaceful an environment as I can. I get up early while my wife and kids are still asleep and ti...