Tuesday 3 October 2017

Reasons for men to do yoga

Reasons for men not to do yoga:

It’s girly
You are certainly likely to be in a largely female environment. So what? It takes a while to get used to the world of the yoga class, but it’s one of the few activities that makes a point of being non-judgemental. Honestly, people will just let you be. Compared to five-a-side it’s a doddle.

I’m not bendy enough
Almost certainly true. You're not bendy enough to do everything the teacher does, but who cares? You’ll get bendier. Have a go and stop when it feels right to stop.

I’m too old and out of shape
See above.

It’ll be embarrassing
Only if you let it. Try not to fart. If someone else does, don’t laugh.

Everyone else there will be young, good-looking, and expert
They might be to you, but they won’t think they are. Let them worry about them.

They’ll think I’m weird
They won’t notice you or care. Sorry.

I haven’t got the right clothes
That’s easy – they don’t really make ‘em. At least not for people like me. Get over it. Just try to wear a t-shirt long enough so that when you raise both arms above your head you don’t expose a pale three inches of hairy belly fat. Not because no one else wants to see it, but because you’ll be preoccupied trying to hide it and it'll stop you from relaxing.

On the other hand, reasons for men to do yoga:

After the first class, you’ll notice you’re seeing the world from a subtlety different perspective because you are walking with a straight back. I reckon it added at least 20mm to the distance between my eyes and the group.

It feels great.

It is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peace on Earth

When I roll out my mat I try to do it in as peaceful an environment as I can. I get up early while my wife and kids are still asleep and ti...